Many IT professionals are running up against the same problem—standard host- and port-based security options no longer meet their needs. The narrative is the same whether you’re trying to find a solution for a small business or a global enterprise. The rise of modern mixed-use networks and applications brings about a renewed need for control over your security system.
That’s where Cisco Meraki’s MX firewall comes into play. This layer 7 identity-based firewall is a stunning piece of technology that can change the game for your organization. If you’re ready to streamline your technical operations and increase network security, it’s time to consider implementing a Meraki firewall.
This article will discuss the top three Meraki firewall benefits to help you decide whether or not it’s a good fit.
What Is a Cisco Meraki Firewall?
The uninitiated may be wondering what a Cisco Meraki firewall even is. For those unfamiliar with Cisco Meraki’s offerings, they provide best-in-class hardware and software for networks. Regardless of the size of your business, you could benefit from implementing Meraki hardware into your operations.
A Cisco Meraki firewall is an incredible network security asset that can change how you manage your network. It features an intuitive, cloud-managed system that gives you all the control and visibility you need. If you’re looking for a system that simplifies deployment and management, secures digital and physical assets, and helps create a smarter, more empowered security system, this is it.
Cisco Meraki’s next-generation firewall is included in their MX security appliances and every wireless AP, giving administrators complete control over their network users, content, and applications.
Meraki Firewall Features
A whole host of features in the Meraki firewalls make them an incredibly appealing option. Some of those features include:
- Layer 7 traffic classification and control: Using proprietary packet processing engines, Meraki’s MX firewall analyzes network traffic up to and including layer 7. It accomplishes this by using sophisticated fingerprinting to identify users, content, and applications across the network. Since each network flow is categorized and the device enforces access control policies, it can block Netflix and prioritize video conferencing along with other advanced settings.
- Intrusion detection engine: The Meraki MX firewall features an integrated detection and prevention (IDS/IPS) engine. This security device protects your network against destructive threats and entities. It uses a combination of protocol-, signature-, and anomaly-based inspection methods to create iron-clad security for your network.
- Identity-based and device-aware security: With device-aware access controls, the Meraki MX allows administrators to approve the appropriate network access level for each device class. Leveraging the layer 7 device fingerprints, it can easily detect and classify all kinds of devices. This allows for ultimate control over applying specific firewall rules based on classes.
Top 3 Benefits of Cisco Meraki Firewalls
While most businesses can choose from a wealth of network security options, there is a clear winner. It’s easy for business owners and operators to get caught up in the latest and greatest, but the Meraki MX firewall is the consistent top performer.
1. The Meraki Dashboard
One of the greatest advantages of any Cisco Meraki product is its highly intuitive, cloud-based management dashboard. It’s centralized and acts as your hub for everything to do with network management.
The Meraki Dashboard is one of the easiest, most streamlined management tools on the market, and it’s available locally 24/7. That means no matter where you are, you can monitor the overall health of your network.
2. An All-Inclusive and Comprehensive Security Package
Indisputably, the Meraki MX firewall offers a comprehensive security solution. It’s an unparalleled option, so if you’re looking for the best of the best, this is your stop.
It doesn’t matter how big or small your network is, how sensitive the information handled within it is, or even how valuable your company is. All networks are potential targets for hackers. Many businesses make the mistake of not prioritizing network security, which sets them up for a massive security breach that can be detrimental to any company.
Cisco Meraki’s firewalls are easily implementable and offer iron-clad security. They boast straightforward functionality, as well. These devices are built to prevent network intrusions, and do so better than anything else on the market.
So, what makes these firewalls a comprehensive package?
With Meraki’s security system, you can leverage:
- Sophisticated malware protection
- Geography-based firewall rules
- Automatic intrusion detection and prevention
- Advanced content filtering tools
- Anti-virus and anti-phishing services
- High-level and detailed network visibility
- Automatic updates to device and software
These features (and more) make Meraki’s firewalls a valuable investment.
3. A Scalable and Secure Solution
There are few things more essential to a growing company than having scalable solutions, especially when it comes to your IT department. The technology world changes rapidly, and many business owners struggle to keep up with it. The last thing you want is for your network security to be a bottleneck for your company’s growth.
Cisco Meraki products are incredible solutions for this issue. Regardless of your level of business growth, opting for a scalable, secure network security option ensures an avoidable bottleneck never impacts your business.
Due to Meraki’s incredible support system and automated features, implementing the MX firewall can immediately lighten the load on your IT department. Meraki’s simple 3-click Site-to-Site VPN setup has revolutionized the way businesses operate. The intuitive setup and powerful simplicity of managing Meraki networks free up space for your team to focus on strategic initiatives, making scaling easier.
Secure Your Company with Meraki Firewalls from Stratus Information Systems
If you’ve decided to take the plunge and invest in Meraki’s proven network security solution, use Stratus Information Systems to make your purchase. When investing in Cisco Meraki, you want to ensure you’re using a trusted, authorized partner. Our team of experts is available to help you with as much (or as little) of the implementation process as you require.
Contact us today to find out more about what Stratus can do for your business.